Why change oil in car?
What kind of motor oil?
To choose the proper type of oil for your vehicle, you need to understand the significance of oil composition, viscosity ratings, and approvals:
- Oil composition:
Lubricants are either fully synthetic, synthetic based technology, semi-synthetic or mineral.
The biggest part of a lubricant is composed of base oils while the remaining part are oil additives which help to protect your engine against wear and corrosion and keep it clean.
70% of a lubricant is composed of base oils while the remaining 30% are oil additives which help to keep your engine cool, clean, and corrosion-free.
- Viscosity ratings: Oil is rated and identified by its viscosity, which determines its ability to flow. Two types of oil are on the market: single-viscosity oil and multi-viscosity oil. Almost every vehicle is designed to run on multi-viscosity oil. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the more easily it flows. In 10W-30 oil, for example, the two numbers mean that it’s a multi-viscosity oil. The 10W is an index that refers to how the oil flows at low temperatures (in Winter); 30 refers to how it flows at high temperatures.
To find out which viscosity to choose for your vehicle, look in your owner’s manual for an oil viscosity chart.
Lubricants have to undergo many tests to be approved by international organizations.
In addition, each OEM issued their own homologations so you have to check your owners’s manual to get your manufacturers’ recommendation in terms of grade and homologations to have. Regularly changing your car's engine oil is necessary to ensure proper engine function as well as to ensure that a vehicle engine lasts for as long as possible.