Transmission fluids for cars
Discover our manual automatic transmission fluids (Transmission car topic)
What is a car transmission?
The term transmission often only refers to the gearbox that uses gears and gear trains to provide speed and torque conversions from a rotating power source to another device. A transmission has multiple gear ratios with the ability to switch between them as speed varies. This switching may be done manually by the driver or automatically. Directional (forward and reverse) control may also be provided. Single-ratio transmissions also exist, which simply change the speed and torque (and sometimes direction) of motor output.
Is transmission fluid oil? Sure, it is a lubricant! You can discover below all our TOTAL transmission fluids
What is manual transmission?
In a manual transmission car, you are responsible for shifting gears using the clutch and gas pedals. Shifting is an important part of driving. As you increase your car speed, your engine's RPMs also increases. You've probably noticed that there is a gauge on the dashboard called the "tachometer." This gauge shows the RPMs for your engine and has a scary-looking red area, which is fittingly called the "red line." In order to protect your engine, you need to change gears before the tachometer needle reaches the red line area.
What is transmission fluid?
Transmission fluid is a slippery liquid that acts as a lubricant for all of the moving parts inside your transmission. In an automatic transmission, this fluid also serves as a coolant and a viscous fluid that transmits power from the engine to the transmission
What is transaxle fluid?
Transaxle fluid, sometimes called automatic-transmission fluid, is a type of fluid that keeps the transaxle of a front-wheel-drive vehicle lubricated and functioning properly. The transaxle is an auto part that combines in one housing the transmission with the differential, thus making the car shift gears automatically.
You’ll discover below our car fluids:
OUR MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUIDS:
Looking for a manual transmission fluid? You’ll discover in this section the best manual transmission oil for your car
- Discover below our manual transmission fluids for gearboxes :
- TOTAL TRANSMISSION GEAR 7 (80W-85 , 80W-90)
- TOTAL TRANSMISSION GEAR 8 75W-80
- TOTAL TRANSTEC 5 (available in 80W-90, 85W-140)
- TOTAL TRANSTEC 4 (available in 75W90, 80W-90, 85W-90, 85W-140, SAE 140, SAE 90)
- Manual transmission fluid for axles:
- TOTAL TRANSMISSION AXLE 8 75W-90
- Manual transmission fluids for both gearboxes and axles:
- TOTAL TRANSMISSION GEAR 9 FE 75W-90
- TOTAL TRANSMISSION AXLE 8 80W-90
OUR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS :
Looking for more info on transmission fluid types or automatic transmission fluid types? It will be soon online in our advice corner
In the past it was pretty much a given that vehicles with manual transmissions would be more fuel-efficient than their automatic counterparts. But as automatics become more advanced and gain additional gears, they are often now overtaking manuals in terms of fuel economy
- Discover more on our Fuel Economy auto transmission fluid homologated atf dexron ® III H: TOTAL FLUIDE XLD FE
- Discover our standard lubricants for automatic transmission gears:
- atf dexron ® VI atf fluid: TOTAL FLUIDMATIC MV LV
We have 5 lubricants in the dexron 3 transmission fluid (or dexron iii automatic transmission fluid) category :
- atf dexron ® III H : TOTAL FLUIDMATIC MV
- atf dexron ® III G: TOTAL FLUIDEMATIC SYN, TOTAL FLUIDE AT 42, TOTAL FLUIDE G3, TOTAL FLUIDMATIC IIIG
Discover below our other lubricants in atf oil category: